This DIY technique allows anyone to create perfect chalkboard lettering!
I love chalkboard art, but free handing lettering drives me crazy. I’m an impatient perfectionist, and I’ve discovered a way to (quickly) get pretty chalkboard lettering every time…
- You will need a chalkboard (I made a mirror into a chalkboard).
- Print out lettering for your chalkboard.
I combined two fonts to make this type art for my dining room, and you can download the (2 page, letter-sized) PDFs here:
- Cover the back of your paper with chalk.
- Tape your printed type just as you would read it (chalk covered side down) to the chalkboard. Using a pen or pencil, firmly trace the type with a pen or pencil.
- Remove the paper, and you should find a fine chalk outline. Using chalk (or a chalk pen), trace and color in the lettering.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
I found these chalk pens on Amazon. They are great for chalkboards you want something that isn’t easily wiped away. However, I recently began using china markers instead of the markers because they look more like chalk and are permeant!
This chalkboard hangs in my dining room.
**UPDATE** I now have a video tutorial for this technique. Want to see more? Click HERE.
SIGN UP: WEEKLY DIY DECOR IDEAS
Subscribe to receive weekly DIY decor ideas AND receive a FREE copy of my Painting Furniture eBook which includes detailed tutorials!